Monday, July 22, 2013

The Beauty of Simplicity

The anecdote Sanket narrated that rainy evening when I stood waiting for the bus to take me home made me smile hours later. It was a strange coincidence that I was thinking about people and relationships and to meet him then unexpectedly only continued my thoughts in the manner of speech. Only minutes before I could reach the bus stop, I had seen a young couple sharing a laugh. Having lived alone for nearly two years, I could feel the warmth of their affection reverberate inside me. So, I stood at the bus stop holding an umbrella and reflecting on the image I had just seen.

Sanket met Ketki through a common friend. He had begun narrating the tale after an enquiry of “Are you seeing someone?” They became friends instantly, began chatting daily and even went out a few times. When he got a job, they got together yet again and treated her. It was, however, when the next time they met that they raised the question of what was going on. I turned my head to look at him at this point, catch his expressions and possibly guess what he was feeling at that instant. He seemed cheerful and jumped forward to finish his tale in a hurry. “We realized we liked each other a lot. I'm falling in love with her each passing day.”


I smiled even hours after he had finished his tale. I was perhaps smiling even as I was in the bus on my way back home. Their relationship would complete a month in a few days and I was smiling at how easily they hit upon that realization. Not many people are lucky to fall in love quickly and as I believe, the complexity of most things actually lies in their simplicity. If one were to wonder how it is possible to fall in love this quickly, one would have to keep wondering in vain. Love is a simple thing which we complicate often with too many thoughts unnecessary.   

1 comment:

  1. The complexity of most things actually lies in their simplicity - very well put.

    ReplyDelete